December 1, 2011

Bryce Canyon Revisited

Loading...

I'm on a switch weekend between surgical services, so I was idly thinking about buying a #25 filter to try to drop out sky color in landscape photos.  This was instigated by a visit Joanne and I made to an Ansel Adams exhibit over at the Peabody Essex Museum.  I've avoided trying to duplicate the effect of a #25 filter in Lightroom (by dropping out some green, most blue, and all of purple in the BW adjustment menu) largely because the previews looked so shitty.  Then I realized by clicking around the internet that this was probably an artifact of the Lightroom preview system (and the application of these changes to a low res JPEG).  Export of the images from RAW to JPEG confirmed this -- the shittiness largely went away.  So I went crazy on it and tried applying the technique to some of the old Bryce Canyon photos from a few posts back -- here are the results.  I was pretty happy, or at least happy enough that I didn't spend $125 on a #25 filter.  Of course, trying to ignore the grain and posterization in the preview is going to be annoying... but for that kind of money I think I can stomach it.